Location: East Antarctica
History: Construction by members of SAE-1 commenced on January 19, 1956. the first meteorological observations were made on February 11th. The Base was officially inaugurated with the raising of the Soviet flag on February 13, 1956.
Information: Mirnyy's 900' (300m) main street was once officially called Lenin Ulitsc (Lenin Street). The original station was replaced in 1970-71 and now lies under 6' (2m) of ice.
Wildlife: Adelie rookery
Types of Research