Nationality: United States
Location: Palmer Station is located at 64°46' S, 64°03' W, on a protected harbor on the southwestern coast of Anvers Island off the Antarctica Peninsula. Palmer is the only U.S. Antarctic station north of the Antarctic Circle.
History: Palmer station at Arthur Harbor on Anvers' southwest coast, was built in 1968. It replaced the prefabricated wood huts of 'Old Palmer' station, established in 1965, which were removed from Antarctica in 1991. The station was named for American sealer Nathaniel B. Palmer, who in 1820 was one of the first to see Antarctica.
Information: The station, built on solid rock, consists of two major buildings and three small ones, plus two large fuel tanks, a helicopter pad, and a dock. Somewhat over 40 people can occupy Palmer in the summer. Wintering population is about 10, although Palmer does not have a long period of winter isolation as do McMurdo and South Pole.
Science: Palmer Station is superbly located for biological studies of birds, seals, and other components of the marine ecosystem. It has a large and extensively equipped laboratory and sea water aquarium. In 1990 it was designated by the National Science Foundation as a long term ecological research (LTER) site. Meteorology, upper atmosphere physics, glaciology also have been pursued at and around Palmer.
Wildlife: Elephant Seals, Leopard Seals, Fur Seals, Royal Penguins, King Penguins, Gentoo Penguins, Rockhopper Penguins, Albatross, Misc. Flight Birds
Types of Research